I downloaded this book from my Kindle Unlimited membership, thinking that it was about paleo diet. Soon it became a mixture of philosophy, anthropology, scientific research on happiness, and finally Buddhism. The author pulls together the materials nicely. In fact, it ranks very top in Amazon’s book category of Theravada Buddhism.
Some interesting topics are list below:
- What is hedonism and why it makes sense.
- The life styles of various tribe peoples in Amazon and Africa, and their secret of health and happiness. This is the major part of the book and is very fun to read.
- Scientific evidences that monks are outliers in terms of happiness.
- What makes a good shaman.
- How to meditate and how it differs from using drugs.
- The author’s interpretation of Buddhism teachings in modern society.
Overall, the author advocates paleolithic lifestyle with Buddhist meditation.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. — Albert Einstein